Although there are differences between the Democratic and Republican parties, they are in essence just two different versions of a big federal government party. Both political parties are unquestionably for a big federal government that ignores the Constitution.
At least today’s Democratic Party is honest about their intentions as they campaign for a large federal government and more control. They explicitly believe in the redistribution of wealth and “social justice,” defined as equality of outcomes irrespective of effort contributed and risk taken by productive individuals. The Democratic Party has stated its desire to defend all aspects of the nanny state and grow it further. They believe that our foreign policy needs the approval of the United Nations and that there is a role for international government.
The Republican Party talks of small government when it is politically beneficial. However, when given power, they have pursued unconstitutional big federal government policies as well. Reagan was the exception, not the rule. The Republican Party is just as much for big government as the Democratic Party, maybe a different type of big government, but still big government. The Republican Party is just not as honest about it. Don’t believe me?
- Which party took us completely off the gold standard so we could start running unlimited deficits? It was Richard Nixon and the Republican Party.
- Which party created the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)? It was Richard Nixon and the Republican Party.
- Which party created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)? It was Richard Nixon and the Republican Party.
- Which party implemented wage and price controls in the 1970s? It was Richard Nixon and the Republican Party.
- Which party bailed out New York City in 1975? It was Gerald Ford and the Republican Party.
- Who allowed the United Nations to vote on our foreign policy and use of military action? It was George H. W. Bush and the Republican Party.
- Which party pushed through the prescription drug program, the largest entitlement expansion in a half century at the time? It was George W. Bush and the Republican Party.
- Which party set up a system of warrantless searches and wiretaps on its citizens? It was George W. Bush and the Republican Party.
- Who bailed out Wall Street? It was George W. Bush and the Republican Party.
When the Republican Party controlled Congress and the Presidency, they did not eliminate significant federal agencies and departments nor did they reduce federal government spending. Today’s major parties differ mainly in which pigs they allow at the trough.